Friday 24 March 2017

Are you drinking enough H20 for your health?

When a new season starts up, I like to really get my life in order.  It is a quarterly check on myself.  The vast majority of Americans take Summer as the time to start drinking and eating more sugary drinks.  In excess, this is not a great thing. But as a matter of fact, I love the Summer and all the nice warm drinks and sweet treats that come with it.  Many holidays happen and a ton of get-togethers are on my own personal calendar and I know that lots of treats are on the way.  The big thing to me though is that I protect my body and use the easiest ways available to do it.  It really is incredible how hydration and dental health are linked.


All the acid and bad things that we consume over the holidays is an issue and taking care of your teeth is key.  The unfortunate side effect of yummy treats is that acid and sugar can help speed up tooth decay.  This is when you tooth enamel starts to soften due to all the acid breaking it down.  The bacteria and plaque also created by sugar stay on your teeth and slowly create holes and cavities.  It really is a sad thing to see, and we all know there are solutions available.


Now, drinking lots of water is the key to staying hydrated.  Water is a natural mouth cleanser and helps to rinse your teeth from the unwanted acid and sugar.  I really do like to indulge on Summer sweets and acidic drinks and to counter some of the bad that comes from those I always keep water nearby.  Water helps rinse those bad drinks off my teeth and it also hydrates my body.  The human body creates more saliva when hydrated.  The saliva in our mouths is a natural cleaner. This is a great reason to keep drinking water after your snack.  This is a great way to help your dental health and keep your mouth clean.




Now drinking water sounds easy, but it takes some habits to get it right.  I think that the best way to drink water is to simply have it nearby.  The water bottle idea is nothing new and it is something that has helped change my life.  I keep a work water bottle and a sports water bottle with me nearly all the time.  At work my stainless steel water bottle allows me to refill it and look classy at the office.  Instead of coffee, I am drinking water and no one knows the difference.




I like to use a nice Nalgine bottle when I am not at the office.  It fits my active lifestyle and allows me to not look super fancy when I am in the car or at the gym.  I love being able to also separate the bottles so my nasty sweat from working out never gets on my work water bottle.  It is the little things that mentally help me out. I hope these tips help you to better your life and keep your teeth safe during this Summer season. If not you can always spend some time researching or just trying out new things that work well for you. We are all different so do what is best for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Things To Know About Compound Odontoma

It might sound scary to hear from your dentist that you have a compound odontoma. However, this condition or growth is treatable. Dentists f...